We all know that a healthy and balanced diet boosts your internal health. However, maintaining a diet rich in vegetables, nuts, seeds, oils, fish, teas and even chocolate can shield your skin from the free radicals of the environment, keep your skin looking glowing from the indie out, banish wrinkles and even fight cancer.
We have the 10 best foods that you should be eating to improve every skin flaw from acne to dry skin, ageing to dullness – trust us; you’ll start looking younger in no time….
1. Flaxseeds are a major wrinkle fighter. These little seeds are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which eradicate sunspots and iron out fine lines. The British Journal of Nutrition reported that participants who ate half a teaspoon of omega-3’s in 6 weeks experienced significantly less irritation and redness, along with more hydrated skin. If you are not a huge fan of flaxseeds, salmon is the king of Omega-3’s!
2. Almonds not only stave off hunger and make a great snack, they also protect your skin against the UV rays. Almonds are packed with vitamin E, which is the ultimate defense against sun damage. Volunteers who consumed 14 milligrams of the vitamin per day (about 20 almonds) and then were exposed to UV light burned less than those who took none. Because vitamin E is an antioxidant, it works to keep your arteries free of dangerous free radicals!
3. Sweet potatoes are not only delicious, they are loaded with vitamin C, which smooths out wrinkles by stimulating collagen production. A recent study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that volunteers who consumed 4 milligrams of C (about half a small sweet potato) daily for 3 years decreased the appearance of wrinkles by 11 percent! Papaya and carrot also help reduce wrinkles. Start snacking.
4. Tomatoes contain lycopene, which helps eliminate skin-aging free radicals caused by UV rays. Tomato sauce, tomato paste and ketchup pack on the protection. Yum.
5. Green tea is a great cancer defender. It releases catechin, an antioxidant that has anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. Research shows that drinking 2 to 6 cups a day not only helps prevent skin cancer, but reverses the effects of sun damage by neutralizing the changes that appear in sun-exposed skin.
6. Spinach is another great cancer fighter. The folate in these leafy greens helps maintain and repair DNA, which may reduce the likelihood of cancer- cell growth.
7. Suffer from dry, flaky or itchy skin? Safflower oil is the answer to your worst skin nightmares. They keep cell walls supple and allow water to better penetrate the epidermis. Scientists have found that this oil may help people who suffer from severe skin conditions like eczema.
8. Your favorite lunchtime sandwich has a secret: Selenium. This nutrient found in tuna helps preserve elastin, a protein that keeps your skin smooth and tight. It also buffers against the sun.
9. Does your skin suffer from blemishes? Grab some carrots and start crunching. Carrots are good for clearing up breakouts because they have plenty of Vitamin A, which prevents overproduction of cells in the skin’s outer layer. In other words, this means fewer dead cells to combine with cebum and clogs pores. Vitamin A also reduces the development of skin cancer cells. Carrots do contain more sugars than most vegetables, so go easy.
10. Dark Chocolate not only tastes good but it is great for reducing roughness in the skin and provides sun protection. In a study from the Journal of Nutrition, women who drank cocoa fortified with a chocolate bar’s worth of flavonols had better skin texture and stronger resistance to UV rays than those who drank less flavonols.
There you have it, the 10 best foods that’ll make your skin look radiant! What will you be eating today?